To see a full-size view of the images posted, just click on them.

RULES FOR POSTING COMMENTS: This blog is meant to be interactive. Please utilize the comment feature to respond to posts that prompt a reaction. You do not have to agree with me to post, but I do ask that your comment pertain to the post itself. I also ask that "anonymous" guests attach some sort of name to their comments so readers can tell everyone apart. (If you cannot follow these simple rules, your post may be DELETED or at the very least mocked for the entertainment of those who can respect my guidelines.)

Monday, May 16, 2016

Geni-clature

Perhaps..........but right about now, I'll bet they're all equally offended.

Which brings me to the thought for the day: why does the word "cunt" prompt such outrage? As a guy I don't believe women are merely being overly sensitive when hearing it. Rather it's a fair reaction to the intentional derision with which it's slung. But it's still just a word ...........admittedly with multiple meanings and connotations. Geni-clature itself is applied to both genders routinely.

The funny part is that the slang depicting genitalia is not used similarly. For guys' parts, you hear most typically: dick, prick, and cock, and of the three, cock is rarely applied to a person (unless you add "sucker".....which changes everything).  But calling a guy a dick is not like calling a woman a cunt. Dick is almost playful and can even be leveled with a smile. Dick = jerk. And while it's not a compliment, it carries little to no venom. 

When you do want to say a guy is a nasty jerk you use prick. But even prick does not generate the offence cunt does. Probably because the type of guy who gets called a prick is too arrogant to care. He may even be proud to be regarded as a prick by his adversaries.

The feminine counterpart slang consists of pussy, twat, and the aforementioned cunt. Interestingly when pussy  is used towards a female, its meaning changes drastically. Referring to a woman as a pussy or more commonly "as" pussy means she is merely a receptacle for a guy's cock. But call a male a pussy and he's a wimp.

Twat means a woman is sort of silly or stupid, but not necessarily the jerk a dick would be. And there's the problem. Women can be jerks but there's no geni-clature to deal with that. Instead, you move right to cunt which is a more offensive equivalent to prick. And maybe the real issue is how women react to being labeled as bitchy.  Whereas the guy being called a prick is somehow almost proud of it, a women hates being seen the same way.

So perhaps there are three issues at work: 1. no female dick-equivalent (hey, maybe clit should begin to be used in these situations? "Oh come on, Sally. Now you're just being a clit!" ) 2. women are generally more uncomfortable when being seen as ruthless, and 3. men know the impact of cunt and therefore use it maliciously to browbeat aggressive women.

As always, thoughts, suggestions, and opposing views are welcome!

6 comments:

  1. I once dated a man that referred to certain women as cints. Rather than get offended (he wasn't talking about me, after all) I asked him why he would use such a hate-filled word. It turns out he wasn't using cunt, he was using CUNT, an acronym, Can't Understand Normal Thinking. It made perfect sense to me. I've used CUNT a few times since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always thought a good buddy had a certain appreciation for how things really are. Essentially...........Friends Understand & Can Know How Everything Always Develops. (I guess you could call them F.U.C.K.H.E.A.D.s?

      I'm not sure though how smart a strategy it would be to regularly pay them this compliment through acronym. I also wonder how successful your friend's "CUNT" explanation was on a regular basis. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Which reminds me: Have you ever watched Eve Ensler's "Vagina Monologues?" Pretty heavy-duty stuff, including use of the word cunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've head of it, but have never seen it. I will look for it.Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Interesting. I recently started using the word "twat" in places I would normally say "idiot" or "moron" , such as the other night at work, I was looking at our monitors that overlook the street, and said, "Why is that twat parked in the middle of the driveway?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "twat" seems to apply best to a silly person who is not terribly bright. I suppose it's because of how similar it seems to "twit".

      Delete