To see a full-size view of the images posted, just click on them.

RULES FOR POSTING COMMENTS: This blog is meant to be interactive. Please utilize the comment feature to respond to posts that prompt a reaction. You do not have to agree with me to post, but I do ask that your comment pertain to the post itself. I also ask that "anonymous" guests attach some sort of name to their comments so readers can tell everyone apart. (If you cannot follow these simple rules, your post may be DELETED or at the very least mocked for the entertainment of those who can respect my guidelines.)

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Not kidding....

.....about that earth-shaking 'O' putting me in a hyper-productive frame of mind. Here is what crazed motivation can result in. 


A while back, Rosa suggested that we eliminate our current, clunky, free-standing liquor cabinet with a corner unit. She had a preference for the styles of wine cabinets you can find at places like Pier 1 that have the wrought iron doors. Since we don't drink much wine, and those cabinets are made of inner wine racks which are unsuitable for standard liquor storage, we realized we would have to find something with shelves. (The other problem was that those wine cabinets run in excess of $1000!

Finding a cabinet of the right dimension, with a wrought iron door, in the right finish.....and within our price range, proved frustrating. So I just said, "why don't I just make one?" 

We found a decorative wrought iron 'door' (really a wall-hanging) at Wayfair that with re-working seemed suitable, and I drew up a scale diagram for the cabinet itself. Here is what followed:

I cleared out the space and drew a perfectly vertical guide line on the wall.

I wanted a design that would leave the brick exposed as part of the inner 'walls' of the cabinet. This one uses screws and wooden peg dowels for stability.

It was starting to really come along.

One of the things I did very differently from previous projects was to design the unit so that it could be taken apart, stained & varathaned, and then re-assembled like a pre-fab unit from an IKEA. So rather than join the edges, I came up with a sandwiching technique that held the front panels on with unseen screws. Once everything was all finished, I assembled the unit into the corner. If we choose to, we could easily take the unit apart, and rebuild it anywhere, and it would still function as a cabinet.


All finished.......except for the handle which is on order. 

And here it is filled with our booze. I arranged everything by type and quality, using the notion of "top shelf" literally for the best, 'you better not use these in a cocktail'-quality liquors. (You can see the single malt scotches on shelf #2. Shelf #3 holds the cheap mixers. #4 has the flavored liqueurs and herbals. The bottom shelf has some random stuff. (It is the only shelf that can only accommodate shorter bottles.)

So, see what a powerful 'O' and a love of booze can lead to? 

13 comments:

  1. Nice job KD.You forgot to mention you are also very talented.I hope you get your deserved reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed!

    I guess my favorite (grenadine) is on the bottom shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. (Actually, I keep the grenadine in the beer refrigerator.)

      Delete
    2. I refrigerate my grenadine as well. I know some people don't, but I prefer it chilled.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's really great. I don't have artistic bone in my body, whether drawing or carpentry, so I admire those who do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan. Maybe soon I can add a couple of those tequilas you recommended to the shelves?

      Delete
  4. Merry said, "If you can't day something nice, then shut the duck up".
    So,
    quack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilo, I read this a few times and still not sure what you are getting at. Are you trying to say you don't like it but have been warned by Merry not to say it?

      Delete
    2. I think Shilo is jealous of your artistic abilities. We never discussed this blog.

      Delete
    3. Oh I hope not. Everyone has their 'thing'. Personally, I am a bit jealous of all of the videos you two have done.

      (Also, if it's any consolation you can assure Shilo that whatever talent I may have has led to far more frustration than any financial success or notoriety. That's why I now just devote my efforts to my own little circle.)

      Delete
    4. What Merry said.
      I am great at following directions to put things together (Ikea, mail order furniture) but to design and build from scratch is beyond me.

      Delete
    5. No problem, Shilo. I just was lucky enough to have a cabinetmaker for a grandfather and a father who was a bit of a Renaissance man. You could say I was never too far away from sawdust.

      Delete