To see a full-size view of the images posted, just click on them.

RULES FOR POSTING COMMENTS: This blog is meant to be interactive. Please utilize the comment feature to respond to posts that prompt a reaction. You do not have to agree with me to post, but I do ask that your comment pertain to the post itself. I also ask that "anonymous" guests attach some sort of name to their comments so readers can tell everyone apart. (If you cannot follow these simple rules, your post may be DELETED or at the very least mocked for the entertainment of those who can respect my guidelines.)

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Epiphany

No, it's not that I've had one, but the Feast of the Epiphany (or the Feast of the Three Kings) is this Wednesday. As an atheist, I don't really celebrate Epiphany but I've always retained the tradition learned from my parents that it was Epiphany that marked the end of the Christmas season. After the 6th, it was "OK" to take down the decorations.....and that is what I'll be doing later this week.

Epiphany also gives me the perfect excuse to post this:


This is a painting by the surrealist Max Ernst, cleverly twisting the Epiphany into a bizarre little commentary utilizing the image of divine,maternal discipline doled out by Mary herself. (I particularly love the way the OTK struggle has caused Jesus' halo to fall onto the floor.)

1 comment:

  1. Shilo and Stitch "took down" Christmas yesterday {Saturday) and I actually fixed a "traditional" (for us) Christmas dinner, minus the desserts. I'll admit, I miss the decorations, but I'm happy to have more room to move around. Here's hoping for happy memories this year.

    ReplyDelete