To see a full-size view of the images posted, just click on them.

RULES FOR POSTING COMMENTS: This blog is meant to be interactive. Please utilize the comment feature to respond to posts that prompt a reaction. You do not have to agree with me to post, but I do ask that your comment pertain to the post itself. I also ask that "anonymous" guests attach some sort of name to their comments so readers can tell everyone apart. (If you cannot follow these simple rules, your post may be DELETED or at the very least mocked for the entertainment of those who can respect my guidelines.)

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Keeping it simple

Well, what a whirlwind! Father's Day ended up being a 2-day long party, and immediately after, a combination of projects and household calamities sucked up all of my time and energy.  However, if I looked for a cohesive lesson or theme to the last few days, it would have to be: sometimes the simplest things are best.

Not only did we benefit from minimizing our hosting efforts and just focusing on a few, select treats, but when confronted with the most elusive, and stubborn drain clog I've ever encountered, I also discovered that you don't always need a fancy weapon to get the job done. Sometimes all you need is a club!

I recently purchased this very economical two-ball flail on E-bay. It was 'OK' in its original state, but I bought it with the idea of doing some tweaking.

Here's what became of that initial purchase: TWO single flails, both upgraded with better chain, and fancier handles. THIS was my other project I had been working on.

Flails are a version of a simple agricultural tool that made their way into the Medieval arsenal. They may not be as fancy as a multi-folded sword, but they got the job done, perhaps not elegantly........but efficiently.

So when I went to Home Depot today to find something to upgrade a very old motorized drain router that wasn't getting at my vicious clog, I expected to drop a couple hundred bucks. But when I saw a particular item and considered the problem I was having with that demon clog, I decided to go with simple brute force. Instead of a fancy new mechanized drain snake of medium diameter, I bought a hefty 1/2" thick, manual snake for under $30. And? It worked like a charm. In fact I am convinced that if I had purchased a $200 tool, I would have run into the same issues I was having with my old one. This job simply called for muscle.

Similarly, when Ana handed me my "Father's Day" discipline slip (after Father's Day), she opted to only write her chosen amount: 618 (since Father's Day was 6/18) and leave the spanking details to her mother's whim. I haven't gotten them yet because of the parties and drain issue, but Rosa has seen the slip. It's just a matter of time and mood now. And Ana had her usual fun with the high amount......yet still managed to enjoy keeping things simple without making a slew of extra conditions.

And that's ALSO how our talk went about the 'zero tolerance' policy going forward. On one hand, Ana was thoroughly sold on ramping things up. (She really enjoys power......and predicaments that affect me) However, her only concern was that the 'zero tolerance' aspect sounded as if she didn't have a choice but was obligated to act on every issue......regardless of how she felt about it. She thought that could get tedious. I assured her that she need not be concerned and that she would ALWAYS retain the ability to choose to act, or not act, based on her own feelings and not be a slave to circumstance. I explained that all I really meant by 'zero tolerance' is that I would have no easy 'out' if she decided that even what I thought might be a minor outburst, resulted in her writing out a discipline slip. 

Once she saw what this new policy really meant, she was happily on board. As a result, even as I worked on the demon clog, and had to bark orders to Rosa, Ana, and her brother................I was careful to try to stay civil. Frenetic maybe.....but without the nastiness I am prone to. With our new policy in effect......now with BOTH Rosa and Ana, any impatient and rude remark is sufficient grounds for a trip across Rosa's lap!








15 comments:

  1. I was wondering when you would return! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Merry. As I mentioned to Dan in an e-mail, I figure since it seems like I'm only posting for you, him, and Tomy lately, that the three of you would forgive me if my updates were a little lax.

      It was a busy few days.

      Delete
  2. Forgive? Naturally! I was mostly concerned. Please delete the errant comment above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sincerely appreciative for your concern. Thanks. But I am ok and I did tell you that I probably would not be posting as regularly as I once did. But I am not closing the blog either.

      But what about the post itself? Any thoughts?

      Delete
  3. Apparently, I'm distracted!

    I like your version of Zero Tolerance,and the "toys" look fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It will be interesting to see how Rosa and Ana manage the stricter regimen.

      Delete
  4. First of all, I am in love with the right frail in the picture, hopefully that won't have to be a option for the slip for you ;) your behind will be more than just red! Second of all, you did try to keep your patience during the whole chaos but just wait because you won't hold your impatience much longer and I'll be right there to catch you when you slip... haha ;)
    -Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty open to new things, but being disciplined via bludgeoning with a spiked flail crosses a line even for me. ;-)

      Thanks for noticing how I was really making an effort during the 'clog fiasco' (and thanks for your actual help as well. It was a crappy job made easier with assistance ....and assistants). But knowing this policy was in effect with you and your Mom definitely helped curb my mouth.....to a degree.

      As for you catching me when I slip? Well, I guess that IS sort of the whole point, right? Let's see what happens.

      Delete
    2. Do you think he might accidentally on purpose slip?

      Delete
    3. Merry: I'd be VERY curious to hear Ana's response to this question! It's a subject we have discussed from both sides on several occasions.

      Delete
  5. Yes I do! He is very needy and he likes the attention and I bet money he will ;)
    -Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana: I'm glad we discussed this in person.

      Everyone else: Although we have always tried to ensure that misbehaviors were never done intentionally to provoke a response, Ana still felt my curiosity over her level of follow-through might become overwhelming.

      But while I agreed i could become that curious, I would probably not intentionally misbehave......and that if I did, I would feel very badly about it. Ana agreed that she too, while she would understand it......would not like knowing she was being manipulated.

      It was a healthy and revealing talk......even if it did make me miss my turn on a trip we were taking together!

      Delete
    2. All the more reason to "punish" you!

      Delete
    3. True, but in all honesty, while I usually agree with Ana on a lot of things......this time I think she's mistaken. While my impatience is almost certainly going to cause me to fail eventually, I really have no desire to test Ana with intentional and fake 'misbehavior'. It's just not me.

      Delete