The next morning I got up and started work.
The third post hole contained big chunks of old brick and mortar fragments that had to be excavated from the hole. But after that unexpected complication, things went more smoothly.
By around noon I sent this previous image to Rosa. And by the time I went inside after dinner, this is what I had done:
This morning I got up early and went to Home Depot for more screws and some channel moulding. And by lunchtime today I was done! All that needs to happen now is staining.....which I can't do until the lumber dries out. The recommendation is to wait a year, but if the summer is hot enough, I might stain it before the RenFaire.
I will be growing thin vines only on this arbor. No wisteria! No Trumpet Vine! Only honeysuckle, clematis, and perhaps some annual vines like dolichos or cypress vine. I am very happy with this project.....which has been in my head for over a year, and very pleased that I managed this with no help whatsoever.